In Genesis God declares that He would create man in their image. One aspect of this image is illustrated in the chart above. It is that man was originally created as a three-part person - spirit, soul and body. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We see that man was created in the image of God as a trichotomy.
- This is a very important subject for each of you to know. Man is a three part being, but since the fall of man in the garden, every person is born spiritually dead. Therefore he must be "born again." John 3:3,5.
- The most important part of man is his spirit because we communicate with God on a spiritual level. This is very clearly spoken of in 1 Corinthians 2:7-16 & 3:1-3
- The Natural Man? This is the person who has not been born again. Hebrews 4:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:23
- The Spiritual Man? The person who has been born again. John 3:3-5
- 1 Corinthians 15:35-50
- Man was created in the image of God - Genesis 1:21-27
- God gave them a simple rule. - Genesis 2:15
- Adam sinned - broke God's law, word. Genesis 3:6
- Then another law of God came into effect - Sin brings death. Romans 5:12
- Adam & Eve died spiritually and began the process of dying physically.
- Communication was changed between God and man.
- John 4:24 - God is a Spirit.
- Ephesians 2:1-2 - Man is spiritually dead in sins.
- John 3:3-5 - Jesus said that a man must be born again.
- Titus 3:5 - Man's spirit must be regenerated.
- Practical application? Virtually everything spoken of in the word of God has a physical & spiritual application.
- Mankind - You can see physical bodies but not the spirit.
- The church -
Local (physical), 1 Corinthians 1:1, Galatians 1:1, etc.
Spiritual (Body of Christ) 1 Corinthians 12:13; Colossians 1:24
- Baptism -
- Physical (water) - Matthew 28:19-20.
- Spiritual - Romans 6:3-4, 1 Corinthians 12:13. Ephesians 4
- Water - physical and spiritual - John 4:1-26.
- Bread - John 6:49-64.
- Ten "I am's" of John 9-15.
- Most false cults get this mixed up.
- Mormons - heaven/works
- Catholics - church/works
- Russellites - (J.W.s) - Kingdoms (Heaven or God)
- Church of Christ - Baptisms - water for every mention in the Bible.
- Liberals - all brothers? Physically descendants of Adam but must be born into the family of God.
- Many Bible verses misunderstood.
- Sin - 1 John 3:4-10.
- Baptism-Matthew 3:11; 1 Peter 3:21
- Election - Ephesians 1:4; Colossians 3:12; 1 Peter 1:2.
- Others as mentioned above.
1482 N. Ramah Dr.
Pueblo West, CO 81007