Hear the sermon The Midnight Cry-The Sermon Hear the song The Midnight Cry-The Song
Message on "The Midnight Cry." Some time ago when I heard the Lighthouse Baptist Church's Men's 'Quintet' singing the song entitled, "The Midnight Cry" my heart was stirred on that thought. I immediately felt that the Lord would like for me to preach on that subject. These are the Bible verses and thoughts that came from that desire to preach this message:
Matthew 25:1-13 - This is part of what has come to be known as 'The Olivet (pertaining to the Mount of Olives) Discourse which encompasses Matthew 24 - 25. These are chapters that plainly have a dispensational aspect to them of which the average Christian of the 21st century does not understand. Just a casual study upon these chapters will cause one to question their understanding of future events. This morning I am going to attempt to visually and verbally explain to you God's great plan for the ages to come. I am going to go through the last almost 2000 years in about 30 minutes so of a necessity we will have to go fast. Because of that, I have drawn up a chart and lesson guide for you to have if you would like one. Please feel free to pick one up after the service. It is a paper picture of what you see up on the overhead projector. I will only be able to cover just a few of the many scriptures found in your Bible about this vast subject.
- The first drawing that we see on the left side of the chart is a wood cross. This symbolizes what Jesus Christ did for us - He died upon the cross of Calvary to pay for our sins and the sins of the whole human family from the creation of Adam until the last man, whoever that maybe.
1 John 2:1-2, John 3:16, 2 Peter 2:1.
- The second part of the chart is the little round circle which represents the empty tomb and the upwards pointing arrow which indicates the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is Risen!! Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and all of the writers of the New Testament attest, witness to the fact of the Resurrection. Paul writes an entire chapter of one book (1Corinthians 15) about this great truth. Here are just a few of the other references: Matthew 28:6, Acts 1:3, Romans 1:4, 2Corinthians 5:15, Galatians 1:1, and etc., etc.
- . Next we see a long period of time, about 2 thousand years, designated by a small parenthesis which represents the time period in which we are living. Some have labeled this 'The Church Age.' Ephesians 5:21-33, 1Corinthians 12:13-31, Ephesians 3, and many others.
- At the end of the church age we have what this song the,The Midnight Cry is about. We call it the 'Rapture.' Note that there is a line going up right at the end of the 2000 year period. It is vividly described in several portions of Scripture, but perhaps none more clearly than in:
1Thessalonians 4:13-18, 1Thessalonians 3:13, and others. Those who have repented of their sins and been born again by the Spirit of God and who are living when Jesus comes back for His own will be caught up. All of those who have died in Jesus Christ prior to the Lord's return also will be caught up to meet Him in the air. All of those caught up (Raptured) will go to heaven with the Lord where two major events await them:
- The Marriage Supper of the Lamb - Revelation 19:7
- The Judgment Seat of Christ - Romans 14:10, and 1Corinthians 3:11-15.
- During those two events there will be unfolding on earth a period of time known as the time of Jacob's trouble - Jeremiah 30:7 - "Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it." It is also known as the great tribulation - Revelation 7:14 - "And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." It is Daniel's 70th week written about in Daniel 9. The Book of Revelation speaks of it from chapters 6 to 19. It is an horrible time. During this period many things will happen not the least will be the unveiling of the Anti-Christ. He is the son of perdition, the man of sin, the beast, the false prophet, the Devil. Many books have been written about this personage, and I will not try to write another. You may study up on him on your own. There are many other events that take place during these 7 years, but I will let you read about them in the word of God. It is replete with Old Testament and New Testament references. You do not want to be on earth during this period, and the only way to escape is to trust in Jesus Christ the Lord as your Saviour now.
- After the tribulation period Jesus Christ will come back to earth in what we call the revelation. Here every eye will see Him as He comes back as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Most of the time when religious types speak of the return of the Lord this is what they are speaking about. Revelation 19:11-16.
- Then will commence the one thousand year reign of the Lord as He takes command of the throne of David and rules Israel and the world with a rod of iron. Revelation 20:1-7.
- Then the Great White Throne judgment and the casting into the lake of fire for all who reject the Lord. Revelation 20:11
- Other events that are depicted on the Chart:
- Hell - The residence for those who refuse the righteousness of God and try to depend upon their own righteousness to achieve a right relationship to the Lord God of the universe. Revelation 20:12 and many other references. Eventually it and all of it's inhabitants will end up in the Lake of Fire.
- Eternity - The last destination for all who are found in Christ.
Where will you spend eternity? In Heaven with Jesus Christ or in Hell with the unrighteous? It all depends upon who you choose for your Saviour and Lord. Self or Jesus Christ. Trust Jesus today before it is too late.
John 5:24 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."
Written by Dr. Robert E. Bliss
1482 N. Ramah Dr.
Pueblo West, CO 81007