1. The Divine Inspiration of Scripture
2. The Virgin Birth of the Lord Jesus Christ
3. The Sinless life and Vicarious Death of the Lord
4. The Bodily, Physical Resurrection of the Lord.
5. The Imminent, Physical Return of the Lord
6. The Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ
7. Salvation by Grace Through Faith
8. The Literal Blood Atonement
9. The Autonomy of the New Testament Church
10. Baptism by Immersion of Believers
This is not intended as an in depth study of doctrine, but rather something to whet your appetite, these 10 fundamentals of the faith are here only sketchily covered. In a Bible college these same doctrines would be studied in much greater depth, and over a greater length of time. This was originally prepared to be a single Sunday School lesson, it ended up taking two weeks despite the brevity. I hope you will find this study a blessing, and like the Bereans of old "search the Scriptures." — Bro. Gartin
- The Divine Inspiration of Scripture
- It is the cornerstone of our faith and the source of our knowledge
- Romans 10:17So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- Inspiration - God Breathed - the words themselves are inspired and preserved.
- 2 Timothy 3:16All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 2 Peter 1:21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.
- Acts 1:16Men [and] brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
- Exodus 24:4And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel.
- Psalm 12:6-7The words of the LORD [are] pure words: [as] silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
- The Virgin Birth of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Fulfillment of prophecy
- Isaiah 7:14Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Luke 1:26-35
26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
- Assures both the humanity and Godhead of Jesus.
- Colossians 1:12-20
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
- 1 Timothy 3:16And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
- John 10:27-30
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
30 I and my Father are one.
- The Sinless life and Vicarious Death of the Lord — Vicarious = Acting for another; filling the place of another
- His sinless life
- Isaiah 53:9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
- Luke 23:41And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
- Vicarious Death
- Isaiah 53:12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
- John 10:11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
- Romans 5:6For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
- 1 Corinthians 15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
- The Bodily, Physical Resurrection of the Lord.
- Psalm 16:10For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
- Matthew 20:19And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.
- Matthew 26:32But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.
- Mark 9:9And as they came down from the mountain, he charged them that they should tell no man what things they had seen, till the Son of man were risen from the dead.
- Testified to
- Luke 24:39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
- Acts 1:3To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
- Acts 2:23-24
23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
- Acts 3:14-15
14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
- Acts 4:33And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
- Acts 10:39-41
39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
- Acts 17:2-3
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.
- Romans 1:4And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
- The Imminent, Physical Return of the Lord
- The promise of Scripture.
- Acts 1:10-11
10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
- John 14:2-3
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
- Titus 2:11-13
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
- The Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Testimony of God The Father
- Matthew 3:17And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
- Matthew 17:5While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
- Mark 1:11And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
- 2 Peter 1:17For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
- Testimony of Jesus
- John 10:30I and my Father are one.
- John 14:9Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
- Testimony from the Epistles
- Hebrews 1:1-3
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
- Philippians 2:6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
- Colossians 2:9-10
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
- Salvation by Grace Through Faith
- Grace = the free unmerited love and favor of God
GOD'S RICHES AT CHRIST'S EXPENSE
- Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- Romans 5:15But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
- Romans 11:6And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
- Titus 2:11For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
- Titus 3:7That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
- Salvation is the gift that Christ purchased for all men on the Cross. To believe that we could do anything to deserve this wonderful gift is complete arrogance. We need do nothing but believe, no works; no "co-operation" with His grace — only acceptance.
- The Literal Blood Atonement
- The necessity of a blood atonement
- Hebrews 9:22And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
- Leviticus 17:11For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
- The efficacy of His blood
- Romans 3:25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
- Romans 5:9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
- Ephesians 1:7In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
- Colossians 1:14In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
- Colossians 1:20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
- Hebrews 13:12Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate
- The Autonomy of the New Testament Church
- Without denominational oversight - unlike Romanism or the SBC
- Christ is the head of the church
- Ephesians 1:22And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Christ is head of the church as a whole and has placed pastors over local New Testament churches - the pastor is the steward and answers to Christ.
- Colossians 1:18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
- Baptism by Immersion of Believers
- Commanded in the Scriptures
- Matthew 28:19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- Mark 16:15-16
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
- Acts 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Into the Water
- Acts 8:36-38
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
- Matthew 3:16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Prepared for use as a Sunday School lesson(s) by Brother Norman Gartin
1482 N. Ramah Dr.
Pueblo West, CO 81007